10.23.2014

Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Pureed Vegetable Gravy

My mom makes the best pot roast. Like THE BEST pot roast with AMAZING gravy. She also makes it in a pot. My husband commented that she was the only one he knew that made pot roast in a pot...LOL!! After I had my son, she stayed with us for a week...and pot roast was on my list of favorite foods my mom makes that I requested while she was here. Her trick to her gravy is she purees the carrots and onions so that they blend into the gravy. It gives the gravy a really unique flavor.
I make my pot roast in the slow cooker but I make my gravy the same way she does. YUMMY!!!



Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Pureed Vegetable Gravy

1 - 3 to 4 lb beef chuck
1 1/2 cups petite carrots
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 beef bullion cubes
2 cups water
1 - 12 oz jar bistro au jus gravy
1 - 12 oz jar savory beef gravy
1 envelope onion soup mix
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Salt and ground black pepper
Wondra, if needed

Season beef chuck with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and saute until just starting to turn brown, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the onions and set aside (do not clean skillet). In the same skillet, add the chuck roast and sear on all sides.
Place seared chuck into the slow cooker. Top with onions and petite carrots. Add both jars of gravy, onion soup mix, water and bullion cubes. Set slow cooker for 6 hours.
When pot roast is finished, remove from the slow cooker and place on a platter. The meat will fall apart so try to cut it as best as you can.
Pour gravy with the carrots and onions into a large mixing bowl. Using a stick blender, puree the gravy until smooth. If the gravy is too thin, add a bit of Wondra and puree again. Season according to taste. Pour gravy over the pot roast. Serve with mashed potatoes or hot buttered noodles.



Even my 10-month old loved it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...