2.23.2011

Why, oh why...do onions make us cry?

As silly as these look (trust me, you look even sillier wearing them), they really do work! My brother got them for me a few years back for Christmas. Every time I cut an onion, I wear them.


Why do onions make us cry?

When onions are cut, an enzyme called sulfoxide lyase and sulfuric compounds are released from the broken cells. When exposed to air, they react with one another to form a vapor called thiopropanal sulfoxide. As this vapor evaporates, it irritates our eyes and causes us to cry. Kitchen folklore remedies such as burning candles or matches, slicing onions under water and freezing the onions before cutting are comical at best. The two methods proven most effective in preventing onion-cutting tears are wearing goggles or contact lenses.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...