8.20.2009

The cruelty that humans do...

This is Brix. My brother, Dino found her tied to a pole this morning in front of my office. He named her Brix because she is like a little brick. Now besides the fact that I can't understand why someone would just leave a dog tied to a pole.....I really can't understand how a person could tie a dog to a pole when it is 97 degrees outside. No food. No water. Just tied her up and walked away. I look at that little face and can't get the image out of my head of her staring at her previous asshole...opps I mean owner, wondering where he was going as he walked away.

So there she was this morning...tied to a pole. My brother drove by, saw her, parked his truck, walked down to the pole, untied her and brought her to the little house in the yard behind the office. He bought her food and treats, gave her water and a blanket to lay on. She was safe.

When my mom and I got to the office, we opened the gate and she stood up, wagged her tail and gave us kisses. She is a black pitbull, about a year old and is just as sweet as can be. Her nails were so long that they started to curl sideways. The woman from Pitbull rescue in Queens said that she has probably been in a cage her whole life so that is why her nails are so long. She has 2 scars on her face. I have no idea from what. She does not look abused but was definitely neglected.

The woman from the Pitbull rescue said that she couldn't take her because she herself is housing 12 pitbulls. The Brooklyn pitbull rescue has over 300 dogs. If we bring her to a dog shelter, they will put her down because pitbull's are very hard to adopt out because of their reputation for being aggressive. So as of right now she will stay with us here at the office. Today she is going to the vet with my brother. She will get examined, get her shots, be spayed (you can see she has already had one litter of puppies), get a bath and get her nails cut. I can't help but wonder...what if Dino had gone straight to a job site instead of coming to the office? What if someone else picked her up? What if someone thought it would be funny to take her and beat her and leave her for dead? Use her for dog fighting? What if........

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mohandas Gandhi.

1 comment:

Lita :) said...

Great Post Arge!!! I wish I could take her but my 2 cats would be soooooo pissed off!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...