10.07.2011

My first attempt at Beef Youvetsi......

I say it all the time......ask me to make a Stuffed Crown Roast with Herb and Cornbread Dressing and Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary White Wine Reduction.....I say "No problem!". Now, ask me to make mashed potatoes......and I freeze. The more complex a recipe it is, the better I am at it. The simplest recipes make me break out in a cold sweat. I find it so funny when people are impressed at a fancy meal I make because to me, its no big deal. And believe it or not, I am jealous of people who make beef stew, chicken soup, even roast beef....because for some strange reason, I am intimidated by simple foods. (Deep breath)...I feel so much better now that I have said that out-loud.
So we were at work the other day and I had asked my mom and Elizabeth about Greek kima (meat sauce) and Youvetsi (beef or lamb stew with orzo pasta). My mom tends to complicate recipes as does my dad so I figured Elizabeth was my best bet. She explained to me, in very simple terms, how she makes youvetsi.
Easy enough. So after work, off to the store I went to get everything I needed for youvetsi. I decided to do beef because I find lamb from the supermarket isn't like lamb from a Greek butcher. It's gamey and tough.
The end result was actually really good which surprised me believe it or not. Billy LOVED it and my mom said it was delicious. So...here it is....MY recipe for Beef Youvetsi.



Beef Youvetsi with Orzo Pasta

2 lbs. beef chuck or shoulder cut into 2-inch cubes
1 lb. orzo pasta
1/2 large red onion, diced small
3 cloves garlic, pushed thru a press
1 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
5 whole black peppercorns
1/2 cup white wine
Ground cinnamon, to taste
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Olive oil
Grated Romano or kefalotiri cheese

In a large Dutch oven, heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the beef, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the beef from the pot and place in a dish leaving the juices in the pot. Add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add the red onion, and garlic and cook about 5 minutes. Add the peppercorns and white wine and cook an additional 5 minutes scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the crushed tomatoes. Let it come to a boil and then lower the heat to medium low. Simmer uncovered for 5 – 10 minutes. Return the beef to the pot along with any juice that collected in the plate. Add about 1 cup of water to the pot. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for about an hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Stir in the uncooked orzo pasta and another 1/2 cup of water, if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and place in the oven. Cook an additional 30 to 40 minutes, or until the orzo is soft, stirring the pasta once or twice, adding water as needed about a 1/2 cup at a time.
Remove the pot from the oven, season with a little more salt and pepper and add the cinnamon to taste. I add about a tablespoon.
Serve with grated cheese.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...