10.26.2009

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

I have had a slow cooker for about 5 years now...I have used it twice. The first time I made a whole chicken. While it was super tender and fell off the bone, I wasn't crazy about all the liquid that was in the pot. It was more like a soup. Since my husband does not eat beef or pork, my dinners are pretty limited. I have seen recipes for ribs, pot roast and chili in the slow cooker and while they all looked and sounded delicious...it seemed a little silly to make a rack of ribs for myself. Plus, what was my husband going to eat? So I came across this recipe for chicken and dumplings and decided to make it yesterday. I had some friends over for our Winter Swap. All of them, including my mom, commented on how great it smelled and my friend Tara even stopped by this morning to pick some up for lunch!

The recipe I am posting is modified from the original.

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

2 packages (about 10 pieces)chicken breast tenderloins, frozen
3 tablespoons butter
2 - 10.75 oz cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 - 10.75 oz can condensed cream of celery soup
1 jar chicken gravy
1 can chicken broth
1 cup frozen chopped onion
2 - 7.5 oz cans refrigerated biscuit dough, pressed flat and cut into strips
Ground black pepper, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Onion powder, to taste
Paprika, optional

Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Place the chicken, butter, soup, gravy, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough broth to cover.
Cover slow cooker, and cook for 8 hours on low. About 60 to 90 minutes before its done, place the biscuit strips in the slow cooker and mix well. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center, mixing at least 2 more times to ensure all the dumplings are cooked. Serve in individual bowls with a sprinkle or paprika.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...