9.01.2011

What Hurricane Irene has showed me.....

It has been a mentally exhausting few days. The flood waters from the hurricane left our garage and shed in ruins but little by little, we are getting back on track. Among the causalities were about 40 cookbooks which I am still trying to salvage. I know it could have been worse. We luckily didn't get any water in the house which I am so thankful for but what we did lose still hurts.
I know I have said this a bunch of times but this week it couldn't be more true. I grew up in Queens. Little Ferry is the closest thing to a small town I have ever lived in. It was truly amazing to watch people come together to help each other out. And I am not just talking about friends...I mean strangers willing to lend a hand and volunteer in any way they could. I am still amazed by the kindness and love that the people who live in my town have shown in the past few days. Not only my friends but people who are usually just a "hello" in passing. It is such a wonderful feeling to know that even when you are at your lowest....there are still good people out there willing to lend a hand.
My CERT team and Ladies Auxiliary worked straight thorough the night, well into Monday making sure everyone ate, slept, got what they needed. It was such an act of selflessness.
We were cleaning out the garage on Monday morning...and walking up the driveway was Walter offering his help. Scott called his cousin to bring us his pump to pump the extra water out of our crawl space. My friend Tara, even after volunteering at a shelter with CERT for 3 days straight with 3 hours sleep, walked into my yard and helped us all afternoon. Lita...Bill Holley...Mike, Joan, Peewee, Ronnie, Brian.....even in a disaster with their own homes to clean up....my FD family and my LF friends were there for us.
It is in moments like these, where I am most proud to call Little Ferry my home.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...